The Street Crimes Unit (SCU) was formed in the 1980’s as a plain-clothes, proactive policing unit. The mission of SCU is to combat violent crime through proactive and intelligence based policing. SCU Officers primarily focus on high level offenders who are responsible for a disproportionate amount of crime. The unit accomplishes these goals by targeting the following areas:
- Identifying and arresting violent subjects who are in illegal possession of firearms.
- Locating and arresting subjects who assault or flee from police officers.
- Conducting operations in outside jurisdictions to arrest suspects who travel to Fremont from other cities to commit crimes.
- Surveillance missions of suspects who are involved in serial criminal activity.
- Street level gang enforcement.
- Street level drug enforcement.
- Quality of life issues.
SCU Officers are highly trained and experienced in tactical operations, plain-clothes tactics, and fugitive apprehension. SCU Officers also frequently train with the SWAT team and K9 Unit. SCU also has primary responsibility for locating and arresting offenders who attempt to flee to other cities after committing crimes in Fremont. The unit frequently works with other law enforcement agencies throughout the Bay Area and State.