Due to the COVID -19 pandemic and the Governor’s Shelter-in-Place order, The Fremont Police Traffic unit has been reassigned to Patrol until further notice. Our response time to abatement and non-emergency parking complaints have increased. We will respond to complaints which are determined to be a public safety concern.
Please do not submit a complaint if the vehicle you are calling about has been parked in the same spot for several days/weeks, the vehicle appears to be operable and does not meet the below descriptions. Due to the shelter-in-place order, we will not respond to these complaints.
If the vehicle you are calling about appears to be inoperable, for example, missing crucial vehicle parts like the engine, wheels, or other required equipment to operate on a public roadway, please enter the vehicle description and location. Please include a license plate number if available.
If the vehicle you are calling about appears to be stolen, for example, ignition damage and stripped interior, please contact our Dispatch non-emergency line at 510-790-6800, option 3.
Please do not submit minor parking complaints until both our State and County’s Shelter in Place order has been lifted.
Major parking violations (e.g. red zone, handicap parking, completing blocking a driveway, etc.) will continue to be enforced, as time/resources allow.
You may file a traffic complaint online using the form located on the bottom of this page for the following issues:
- Abandoned Vehicles
- Disabled Parking Violations
- No Stopping Any Time Violations
- Other Parking Violations
If you have a concern about the design or safety of a road, intersection, crosswalk, bike lane or traffic signals, contact the City of Fremont's Transportation Engineering Department.
The Traffic Unit receives calls from citizens wanting to report traffic violations occurring in their neighborhood. Approximately 75% of these citizens are complaining about cars speeding through their neighborhood. The other 25% consist of other violations such as drivers failing to stop for stop signs and drivers failing to stop for red lights.
The complaints are logged in and the sergeant assigns the complaint area to a traffic officer who is assigned to that specific zone area. Once the traffic officer receives a copy of the complaint form, the traffic officer will assess the area and determine the best way to conduct traffic enforcement. For example, if the complaint area is for speeding vehicles, the officer will conduct radar enforcement in the area during the times the citizen advised the problem occurs. The traffic officer will continue to monitor the area for several months. However, due to the number of complaints and the limited number of traffic officers assigned to the unit, it is unlikely that the officer can monitor the area on a daily basis. The traffic officer keeps a log, which documents the number of vehicles he or she observed and the number of citations that were issued. The traffic officer assigned to the complaint area is also responsible for contacting the citizen that initially called in the complaint to advise them of what has been done.